Automatic Web enablement for IBM i 5250 applications features
The features and benefits of aXes are:
- Automatic GUI generation provides a mouse driven terminal interface
- Supports SSL secure connections
- Session shadowing and control tools for remote support or troubleshooting
- Session parking, disconnect and reconnect to reestablish sessions at the point of suspension
- Access the full batch CPW of your IBM i server in a browser environment without rewriting your valuable applications
- Interfaces can be "branded" and appearance customized with custom style sheets and skins
- Supports use of advanced graphical constructs in DDS
- Eliminate traditional desktop emulation and associated client side deployment
- No client side software to download or install (no ActiveX or applets - true zero-client)
- Centralized management improves IT system management, reduces desktop support and lowers TCO
- Single point installation and configuration lowers TCO
- N-tier architecture enables unlimited distributed servers, load balancing and scalability
- Open and industry sponsored Internet-standards
- Architecture-neutral solution, no ActiveX or Java infrastructure required on the server or client
aXes includes a fully featured terminal emulator that runs through your browser at incredible speeds. Once aXes is installed on your server, you can connect securely to your IBM i from any PC in the world with Internet access, even from internet cafes!
Any organization that manages users in a wide geographical area should consider using aXes for their Web-to-server access needs. aXes provides users with secure access to a server over the Internet, Intranet or Extranet. aXes serves IBM i applications through a Web-browser exploiting the latest, open and industry standards. There is no download from the server to install on the client.
aXes provides access to server based applications via a Web browser interface. System administrators need only to install the solution once on a server, centrally configure the user and group set-ups, enabling users to access their server-based applications in a variety of styles and languages, with a click of the mouse via their Web browser. Using a browser, users simply access a URL – eliminating the need to install software and user configurations on individual desktop computers. When a new version is released, only the central server needs to be updated. All users automatically get the latest release benefits the next time they access the server-based applications, no matter where they are located.
Ease of use
Server access is through the browser, thus the user is already familiar with the style of the interface being used to access the application. The browser has become the universal interface for all types of applications, hence there is little or no training required to get the user up and running quickly. Both training and support costs are minimized.
Full security for browser-based sessions
aXes offers a unique Web-to-server solution that supports built-in security. It uses the Internet-standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol for data encryption to ensure that all aXes sessions are secure. Users work in a safe and protected environment while utilizing any IP network (public or private).
aXes is a browser-based, Web-to-server connectivity solution, which can be deployed immediately and can also be customized. The output sent to a client device is a programmable Dynamic HTML, XML, CSS, XLS document set, exposing methods, events and properties to client-side script (DHTML). This allows adaptations and modifications made to a server-based application to be reflected in the resulting Web application dynamically.
Graphical user interface for the applications
aXes has been designed to protect and leverage your investment in proven, robust and functional server-based applications. Thousands of server-based business applications have evolved through significant investment, development and refinement. They provide the strong, scalable, proven foundation businesses continue to rely on.
aXes provides a new Web look-and-feel for these applications. No programming is required and further customization is possible.
aXes provides a dynamic real-time environment for modernizing, adapting and extending existing server-based applications. aXes' unique dynamic server architecture works in real-time providing order-of-magnitude cost savings compared to alternative application modernization strategies, without requiring compiling, programming or changes to any existing server-based application.
Customise, integrate, extend and reengineer
You have complete control over what your users see when you customise your application. You can incorporate the aXes into your company Web site, add logos, change fonts and background images. If you have access to your DDS, you can add HTML elements to each and every screen. And because aXes is a server solution, you only have to make changes once.
- Graphically Web-enable server-based applications, eliminating client deployment cost while utilizing existing infrastructure
- Integrate Web-based applications with other desktop, network and browser based applications
- Extend Web-based applications with integrated support for methods, events and properties via client-side scripts
- Reengineer existing server-based applications to eliminate redundancy and improve workflow
All aXes functions are implemented instantly. aXes' dynamic server architecture means you can add a business process to an existing server-based application and implement it instantly, without disruption to users. The ability to manage change instantly, significantly reducing costs and improving responsiveness is among the unique business benefits provided by aXes.
aXes includes full support for integrated terminal emulation, providing all users with a choice of interface style. Just as 3GLs remain important and vital, so too do terminal devices. In many cases, terminal technology remains an important infrastructure requirement with incumbent cost effectiveness already well established. aXes provides the integrated solution that supports your existing infrastructure and interface requirements.
Centralized management and administration
aXes is centrally installed and configured by an administrator for all users or groups of users. Centralized configuration and administration saves time, reduces costs and increases worker and system efficiency. aXes architecture provides unlimited scalability for any size business.
With aXes, client session shadowing enables the system administrator to monitor and provide immediate assistance to any remote or mobile user online and in real-time.
- Monitor the entire system remotely, determining which sessions are open and who has current access to what applications
- Remotely manage users, groups and sessions; create a custom session login script; create a custom session keyboard mapping
- Restrict users to pre-configured sessions
- Increase security by allowing users to login from predefined IP addresses only
Single point installation (true zero client)
aXes features a single point installation (true zero-client) and centralized management, which gives the administrator a high level of control and reduces the organization's total cost of ownership (TCO).
Single point installation not only minimizes user training and support costs, but Web-to-server technology minimizes the costs associated with software distribution, installation and configuration. The core of the aXes Web-to-server solution is a server-based component that includes access authorization information, connection parameters, administrative and monitoring tools and configuration data for sessions and users.
aXes requires nothing to be physically loaded on client workstations by administrators. Web-to-server technology does away with the necessity of anyone visiting individual machines to load and configure server access software. The necessary software and configuration data reside on the server and become available to users when the browser is directed to the appropriate URL. Additionally, browser-based server access provides organizations with the capability of granting access to anyone, anywhere in the world, via the Internet.
Fully featured emulation
aXes supports everything a normal thick client emulator (PC5250) will support. Radio buttons, scroll bars, type ahead, keyboard mapping, even DBCS is not a problem. aXes simple interface provides a smooth transition for data entry users and casual users alike.
aXes reads your application display files and creates GUI objects automatically. Menus become click-able links, sub files become scrollable tables and function keys become buttons. When used in conjunction with the HTML DDS keyword, you can create some truly amazing results for what is still, under the covers, a traditional 5250 green screen.